Marine Commandos to get combat system
New Delhi: Strengthening its capabilities to
carry out special operations, the Navy is planning to procure
advanced Integrated Combat System (ICS) for its elite Marine
The Navy wants the ICS for effective command, control and
information sharing to maximise capabilities of individuals
and groups of the MARCOS-- the elite special operations unit,
while engaging enemies.
"We want the ICS to provide enhanced capabilities such as
tactical awareness and fighting ability in hostile environment
and a network which can enable Group Commanders to remotely
monitor and control operations," Navy officials said.
They said the ICS would help in integrating an individual
sailor`s capability of day and night surveillance, ballistic
protection, communication and firepower through an integrated
network at individual and group level.
Initiating the procurement process through a Request for
Information (RFI), Navy`s Directorate of Special Operations
and Diving has sought details from global vendors about the
ICS, which should have gear for both individual and group
The individual equipment required by the Navy in the ICS
includes light weight helmets, head-mounted displays, tactical
and soft ballistic vests along with communication equipment.
The group-level gear requirements include command and
control and surveillance systems along with high speed
The Navy wants the integrated surveillance devices to
have sight for the sniper, laser range finder and long range
thermal imager (medium and long range) and near IR laser
pointer for a combat group to undertake surveillance,
reconnaissance and targeting.
It also wants that the ICS should be compatible with all
the advanced assault rifles and close-quarter combat weapons
which are used by elite troops.
The Navy has recently started inducting the Israeli Tavor
21 Assault Rifles for the MARCOS.
As per the RFI, the Navy wants the electronic devices and
sub parts of the ICS to be operable in tropical, cold, desert,
marine and coastal climates along with being waterproof.
After gathering information from the interested vendors,
the Navy will issue a global Request for Proposal (RFP) soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?