Marines` ship was lured into Indian waters: Italian minister
New Delhi: Hoping for a quick solution to the issue of the marines, Italian Deputy Foreign Minister Steffan De Mistura blamed the Kerala Police for luring their ship into Indian waters.
To buttress his point, De Mistura referred to a statement of a senior Kerala Police.
Responding to a question on a news channel whether he could confirm the captain of the Italian tanker on which the marines were deployed was lured or brought back on some form of deception, he said, "I can tell you what I know rather than confirming because I hope the Indian side would discover that.
"Point number one is what you said is correct. He was there (in international waters). Point number two he didn`t return inside the national waters because he was never in national waters. But I will quote instead, I think, a senior official of the Kerala Police, who actually very proudly said, `We lured him in`."
He reiterated his charge that ship with the two marines were "lured" by the Kerala Police.
"Yes, he said so. I am quoting an Indian policeman from Kerala," De Mistura emphasized.
Asked if this issue ends with the marines being tried and sentenced or will there be another crisis, the minister said, "I can only tell you one thing. We have to find a quick formula, solution for this issue because the two countries deserve definitely more than simply having a crisis... and frankly very sad to know that two Indians, whatever happened, died."
Holding that they respected India`s Supreme Court, De Mistura said that they favoured holding the trial of two marines in their country.
He said that the breakthrough in the standoff on the return of two marines was resolved after India assured that two marines, if convicted, would not be awarded a death sentence. He said that marines were sent back after a written assurance by India.
Saying that like India, Italy too wanted a quick solution of the issue, the Italian minister denied that his country buckled under any pressure on the issue of return of two marines.
Holding that every one made a lot of mistakes, De Mistura said that the undertaking by Ambassador Daniele Mancini to the apex court was put under suspension because there was a fear of capital punishment in Italy and consequently "strong emotions".
"Strong emotions in Italy provoked suspension of affidavit," he said.
The marines, Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, posted aboard oil tanker MV Enrica Lexie on security duty, had Feb 15, 2012, opened fire at a fishing boat off the coast of Kerala, suspecting that the boat carried pirates.
Two fishermen, Ajesh Binki and Gelastine, were killed in the firing.
A row had risen after Italy announced that the two marines, who were allowed to go home to vote, would not return to Indi for the trial. After hectic diplomatic parleys, the marines eventually returned Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India