Marital rape can lead upto 7 years of jail: Ordinance
New Delhi: Marital rape will also attract stringent punishment under the ordinance proposed by the Centre.
Sex by husband with his wife during separation will lead upto seven years of imprisonment, according to the proposed ordinance on anti-rape law approved by the Union Cabinet on Friday.
Justice JS Verma Committee recommended deletion of IPC`s Section 376A (Intercourse by a man with his wife during separation) under which currently maximum punishment is two years. Implied in that was the view that marital rape should also be brought under the definition of rape.
However, the government has decided to retain it but enhanced the punishment for the crime -- from two years to maximum seven years of imprisonment.
"We have increased the punishment but decided to retain the clause to give an opportunity to a couple for reconciliation," a Home Ministry official said.
So far, Section 376A is a non-cognizable offence but the proposed ordinance made such a crime a cognizable offence.
Several women organisations have demanded deletion of Section 376A as recommended by Justice Verma Committee and are planning to appeal to President not to sign the proposed ordinance.
Responding to another criticism that personnel of armed forces often take the shield of Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 after committing crime against women, the Home Ministry official clarified that no sanction would be required if the armed force personnel is accused of a crime against a woman.
In a bid to fast-track stringent amendments to the criminal laws to check crime against women, the Union Cabinet last night approved promulgation of an ordinance by including capital punishment for rape that leads to death of the victim or leaving her in a vegetative state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon