Marital rape: Govt to raise age from 15 to 18 yrs
New Delhi: Government has fixed 18 years
as the maximum age till which forceful sexual intercourse with
the wife can be deemed as rape but the NCW which had proposed
inclusion of marital rape as a punishable offence in the IPC
today said it would have preferred doing away with age limit.
The proposal for amendment to the rape laws in the IPC
to include marital rape was sent to the government on August
18 this year, NCW chairperson Girija Vyas told reporters here.
Under the present law, sexual intercourse by a man
with his wife, who should not be under 15 years of age, is not
The Commission has emphasised that this `exception` to
Section 375 of IPC should be deleted thereby bringing marital
rape under the ambit of the crime of rape, she said.
A high-powered committee chaired by the Secretary Home
said that the relevant section in the IPC would be modified to
raise the age to 18 years.
The NCW, Vyas, said would have preferred if no age
limit was mentioned.
"However, as a first step it is heartening that the
age limit has been increased from 15-18," she said.
The Commission also suggested a rehabilitation scheme
for acid attack victims and accordingly has formulated a
scheme for relief and rehabilitation of offences by acids
on the lines of those relating to rape victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060