Markandey Katju apologises for ‘90% of Indians are fools’ remark
New Delhi: Press Council of India Chairperson Justice (retd) Markandey Katju on Saturday apologised to people whose feelings he may have hurt by his "90 percent of Indians are fools" remark or other statements.
"Some people have been aggrieved by my statement that 90 percent Indians are fools and some other statements. In this connection I wish to state these statements were made in a specific context, and were never intended to hurt anyone’s feeling," Katju said.
"However, if anyone’s feelings have been hurt by these statements or any other statements of mine I apologise for the same," he said.
"From time to time people have been bringing to my notice that the language I use may have been harsh. So if it has hurt some feelings, I thought it fit to apologise," he said.
Katju had made the controversial comments in December last year. His remarks had evoked angry reactions following which Katju had issued a clarification, saying the remark had been made to generate awareness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM