Marsh turns into traps for antelopes in Rajasthan
Jodhpur: Marsh developed by industrial effluent in villages on the border of Jodhpur and Barmer districts of Rajasthan has turned into a trap for antelopes claiming lives of about a dozen endangered chinkaras in the past one week.
The antelopes jump into the marshy outlet, created by the chemical effluent, in order to escape the attack bid by dogs and got stuck in the marsh.
Most of the carcasses had turned dark due to the effect of the chemicals.
"We took out 10 carcasses and rescued 4 antelopes on Saturday, of which 2 were sent to the rescue center for medical aid", said ACF Mahak Ram Bishnoi.
He said the industrial outlet measuring 4-5 feet deep and 10-12 feet wide, passing through Dhava, Doli, Bhandu and Lunawas villages, has turned marshy after the water in it dried up due to scorching heat.
"When dogs follow antelopes, which are abundant in this region, they get trapped in this marsh and get stuck in it. It then becomes impossible for them to come out and gradually they sink in the marsh", Bishnoi said.
An activist of the Bishnoi Tiger Vanya evam Paryavaran Sanstha, who also reached the spot on Saturday, suspected more carcasses were sunk in the marsh and demanded immediate steps to prevent such incidents.
"If nothing is done by the forest department to ensure the safety of the antelopes, we will launch a movement", said Ram Niwas Budhnagar, general secretary of the organisation.
Meanwhile, the forest department has deployed about half a dozen guards to keep an eye on the marsh and make sure that no antelope is stuck in the marsh.
"We will start a drive to catch stray dogs in the area also from Monday", said Bishnoi adding that support of villagers will be very important in this drive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'