Massive fire at HPCL refinery in Visakhapatnam; 2 killed, 37 injured
Zee Media Bureau
Visakhapatnam: A massive fire broke out at the Hindustan Petroleum refinery in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, on Friday.
As per reports, two persons were killed and as many as 37 others injured in the fire which spread to a large area but has now been brought under control.
"The cause of the fire is not yet known. The fire was brought under control," Visakhapatnam Police Commissioner B Shivadhar Reddy said.
Sources however said the fire started at 4 pm following an explosion inside a cooling tower at the state-owned oil refinery.
A thick layer of smoke engulfed the area causing tension and panic among nearby residents.
Fire fighting tenders from all over the city were pressed into service to control the fire, police said, adding the injured were shifted to INS Kalyani and other nearby hospitals.
Reports said welding work was on at the refinery.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites