Massive fire at HPCL refinery in Visakhapatnam; 2 killed, 37 injured
Zee Media Bureau
Visakhapatnam: A massive fire broke out at the Hindustan Petroleum refinery in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, on Friday.
As per reports, two persons were killed and as many as 37 others injured in the fire which spread to a large area but has now been brought under control.
"The cause of the fire is not yet known. The fire was brought under control," Visakhapatnam Police Commissioner B Shivadhar Reddy said.
Sources however said the fire started at 4 pm following an explosion inside a cooling tower at the state-owned oil refinery.
A thick layer of smoke engulfed the area causing tension and panic among nearby residents.
Fire fighting tenders from all over the city were pressed into service to control the fire, police said, adding the injured were shifted to INS Kalyani and other nearby hospitals.
Reports said welding work was on at the refinery.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon