Massive fire at HPCL refinery in Visakhapatnam; 2 killed, 37 injured
Zee Media Bureau
Visakhapatnam: A massive fire broke out at the Hindustan Petroleum refinery in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, on Friday.
As per reports, two persons were killed and as many as 37 others injured in the fire which spread to a large area but has now been brought under control.
"The cause of the fire is not yet known. The fire was brought under control," Visakhapatnam Police Commissioner B Shivadhar Reddy said.
Sources however said the fire started at 4 pm following an explosion inside a cooling tower at the state-owned oil refinery.
A thick layer of smoke engulfed the area causing tension and panic among nearby residents.
Fire fighting tenders from all over the city were pressed into service to control the fire, police said, adding the injured were shifted to INS Kalyani and other nearby hospitals.
Reports said welding work was on at the refinery.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you