Massive fire at HPCL refinery in Visakhapatnam; 2 killed, 37 injured
Zee Media Bureau
Visakhapatnam: A massive fire broke out at the Hindustan Petroleum refinery in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, on Friday.
As per reports, two persons were killed and as many as 37 others injured in the fire which spread to a large area but has now been brought under control.
"The cause of the fire is not yet known. The fire was brought under control," Visakhapatnam Police Commissioner B Shivadhar Reddy said.
Sources however said the fire started at 4 pm following an explosion inside a cooling tower at the state-owned oil refinery.
A thick layer of smoke engulfed the area causing tension and panic among nearby residents.
Fire fighting tenders from all over the city were pressed into service to control the fire, police said, adding the injured were shifted to INS Kalyani and other nearby hospitals.
Reports said welding work was on at the refinery.
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!