Massive fire at HPCL refinery in Visakhapatnam; 2 killed, 37 injured
Zee Media Bureau
Visakhapatnam: A massive fire broke out at the Hindustan Petroleum refinery in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, on Friday.
As per reports, two persons were killed and as many as 37 others injured in the fire which spread to a large area but has now been brought under control.
"The cause of the fire is not yet known. The fire was brought under control," Visakhapatnam Police Commissioner B Shivadhar Reddy said.
Sources however said the fire started at 4 pm following an explosion inside a cooling tower at the state-owned oil refinery.
A thick layer of smoke engulfed the area causing tension and panic among nearby residents.
Fire fighting tenders from all over the city were pressed into service to control the fire, police said, adding the injured were shifted to INS Kalyani and other nearby hospitals.
Reports said welding work was on at the refinery.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users