Massive fire in slum near Bandra station in Mumbai
Mumbai: A massive fire broke out in a slum adjoining the Bandra Railway Station in the western suburbs of Mumbai Friday evening. However, there were no reports of any casualty.
As per Zee News, which was the first to break the story, the fire was reported from Garibnagar area in Bandra East.
The blaze broke out at around 8.30 pm and quickly spread through the dense hutments. As many as 300 hutments have been damaged in the incident rendering thousands of slum-dwellers homeless.
Soon after the news spread, twenty-six fire engines, 10 water tankers and five ambulances were immediately rushed to the spot to douse the blaze and help the injured. Besides, top officials of the city administration also reached the spot to take stock of the situation.
The exact cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained but it is being suspected that big land sharks may be behind this incident.
The fire has affected the train services in the region to some extent and the Central Railway has partially curtailed operations on its Harbour Line as a precautionary measure. However, trains on the Western lines are still running.
Ten people are reportedly injured and have been rushed to the Bhabha Hospital. The Fire department officials say the fire could have caused huge loss of property.
Rubina, one of the stars in Danny Boyle`s 2008 Oscar-winning movie Slumdog Millionaire, stays in the Garib Nagar area. Her family is reportedly safe and has evacuated the hutment.
Azharuddin and Rubina, who played the roles of the protagonists in their childhood, used to live in this very slum until they moved out after homes were arranged for them by the "Slumdog.." crew. Several other children, who played bit roles in the movie, still stay in the slum.
Till the report last came in fire brigade officials had managed to douse the fire to large extent and efforts were on evacuate more people to the safer areas.
For more details regarding the fire tragedy, please tune into the live-coverage on Zee News.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS
- Randeep Hooda’s dream girl is beautiful – See pic
- Chemical factory blast sends shock waves in Dombivali near Mumbai; 3 dead, over 100 injured
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities
- Unveiled! First teaser poster of Riteish Deshmukh, Nargis Fakhri's 'Banjo' – View pic