Massive fire in slum near Bandra station in Mumbai
Mumbai: A massive fire broke out in a slum adjoining the Bandra Railway Station in the western suburbs of Mumbai Friday evening. However, there were no reports of any casualty.
As per Zee News, which was the first to break the story, the fire was reported from Garibnagar area in Bandra East.
The blaze broke out at around 8.30 pm and quickly spread through the dense hutments. As many as 300 hutments have been damaged in the incident rendering thousands of slum-dwellers homeless.
Soon after the news spread, twenty-six fire engines, 10 water tankers and five ambulances were immediately rushed to the spot to douse the blaze and help the injured. Besides, top officials of the city administration also reached the spot to take stock of the situation.
The exact cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained but it is being suspected that big land sharks may be behind this incident.
The fire has affected the train services in the region to some extent and the Central Railway has partially curtailed operations on its Harbour Line as a precautionary measure. However, trains on the Western lines are still running.
Ten people are reportedly injured and have been rushed to the Bhabha Hospital. The Fire department officials say the fire could have caused huge loss of property.
Rubina, one of the stars in Danny Boyle`s 2008 Oscar-winning movie Slumdog Millionaire, stays in the Garib Nagar area. Her family is reportedly safe and has evacuated the hutment.
Azharuddin and Rubina, who played the roles of the protagonists in their childhood, used to live in this very slum until they moved out after homes were arranged for them by the "Slumdog.." crew. Several other children, who played bit roles in the movie, still stay in the slum.
Till the report last came in fire brigade officials had managed to douse the fire to large extent and efforts were on evacuate more people to the safer areas.
For more details regarding the fire tragedy, please tune into the live-coverage on Zee News.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali