Massive fire in slum near Bandra station in Mumbai
Mumbai: A massive fire broke out in a slum adjoining the Bandra Railway Station in the western suburbs of Mumbai Friday evening. However, there were no reports of any casualty.
As per Zee News, which was the first to break the story, the fire was reported from Garibnagar area in Bandra East.
The blaze broke out at around 8.30 pm and quickly spread through the dense hutments. As many as 300 hutments have been damaged in the incident rendering thousands of slum-dwellers homeless.
Soon after the news spread, twenty-six fire engines, 10 water tankers and five ambulances were immediately rushed to the spot to douse the blaze and help the injured. Besides, top officials of the city administration also reached the spot to take stock of the situation.
The exact cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained but it is being suspected that big land sharks may be behind this incident.
The fire has affected the train services in the region to some extent and the Central Railway has partially curtailed operations on its Harbour Line as a precautionary measure. However, trains on the Western lines are still running.
Ten people are reportedly injured and have been rushed to the Bhabha Hospital. The Fire department officials say the fire could have caused huge loss of property.
Rubina, one of the stars in Danny Boyle`s 2008 Oscar-winning movie Slumdog Millionaire, stays in the Garib Nagar area. Her family is reportedly safe and has evacuated the hutment.
Azharuddin and Rubina, who played the roles of the protagonists in their childhood, used to live in this very slum until they moved out after homes were arranged for them by the "Slumdog.." crew. Several other children, who played bit roles in the movie, still stay in the slum.
Till the report last came in fire brigade officials had managed to douse the fire to large extent and efforts were on evacuate more people to the safer areas.
For more details regarding the fire tragedy, please tune into the live-coverage on Zee News.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27