Massive tricolour hosted at Kargil war memorial
Drass (Jammu and Kashmir): A massive tricolour, weighing 15 kg, was today hoisted at the Kargil war memorial here in Drass sub-sector as part of the celebrations of the 13th anniversary of victory in the 1999 war.
The flag is 37 and a half feet in length, 25 feet in width and weighs 15 kilograms, Chief Executive Officer of National Flag Foundation of India Commander (retired) K V Singh said.
Singh said the flag hoisted at the Kargil war memorial here at Drass, 150 kilometers from Srinagar, is "more than double in dimensions" than the ones which are hoisted over Red Fort and Parliament house in New Delhi.
The flag was hoisted over a specially built pole which is three tons in weight, 101 feet tall and 15 feet below the ground.
Singh, a retired naval commander, who manages the affairs of the foundation which presented the flag to the Army unit here, said the idea is to "promote the national flag by making them monumental".
The flag, made of knitted polyester, was hoisted by the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Army`s Northern Command Lt Gen K T Parnaik and Member of Parliament Naveen Jindal, who heads the flag foundation.
"It is a very significant occasion for us today because we are celebrating the victory day of the Kargil war...And on this very pious occasion Shri Jindal has gifted us this wonderful flag of ours. It is a huge flag which will flutter here 24 cross seven," Lt Gen Parnaik told reporters at the war memorial.
Jindal, who heads the non-profit flag foundation, said the aim of installing these "monumental" flags and flag poles is to "popularise" the national flag.
"We are feeling proud by presenting the tricolour in the form of a monument. This flag, which is fluttering in front of us, is our national pride," Jindal said.
Army today began the two day commemoration of the 13th anniversary of its victory in the 1999 Kargil war.
Kargil War, which began in May 1999, lasted more than two months before Pakistan soldiers, a bulk of them drawn from its Northern Light Infantry, and irregulars withdrew from the mountain tops it had occupied overlooking the Srinagar-Leh highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes