Mathematics makes students sweat in IIT-JEE
New Delhi: Lengthy and tricky questions
on mathematics gave a tough time to nearly 4.72 lakh students
today in the IIT-Joint Entrance Exam for admission into about
10,000 seats in the prestigious institutes.
The exam papers also carried a printing error as
subject-heads of mathematics and physics were interchanged.
The candidates were immediately told about it and were assured
that the error would not affect the evaluation.
"Mathematics was really tough. The questions were
tricky and lengthy. It consumed a lot of my time," Gaurav
Goel, a class-XII passout from Laxman Public School, said
after the test.
The entrance comprised two papers with each paper
having questions on physics, chemistry and mathematics. The
first paper started at 9 am while the second paper was held
between 2 pm and 5pm.
"The physics and chemistry questions were average.
There was no difficulty in answering them," said Pritha
Banerjee, a student of DPS Noida.
She said the standards of the mathematics paper was
much above than what is taught to them in CBSE syllabus.
Snehashis Mitra, a student of Mount St Mary`s said the
second paper was tougher than the first one.
IIT Delhi Director Prof Surendra Prasad said that the
exam passed off smoothly. Of the 7.72 lakh candidates, there
were nearly 90,000 candidates in northern region where
IIT-Delhi was coordinating the exam.
The students qualifying the test will be eligible for
admission into the B.Tech programmes at 15 IITs, ISM Dhanbad
and IT-BHU. The results will be announced on May 26.
The number of candidates this year has gone up to 4.72
lakh against four lakh candidates last year. With an overall
increase in the number of seats in IITs due to implementation
of OBC quota and opening of the new IITs, the number of
aspirants for the prestigious institutes went up by nearly
70,000 this year.
The 15 IITs include two new IITs -- IIT Mandi and IIT
Indore which will start offering courses from this year.
The IITs have decided to conduct on-line counselling
for general category students this year. This will give relief
to students who earlier used to go to different counselling
centres for securing a seat for themselves.
However, the OBC candidates will have to go to the
exam centres for counselling where their certificates will be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand