Mathura train collision: 3 officials transferred
Agra: A divisional railway manager of the North Central Zone, along with two other senior officials were transferred following Wednesday`s train collision near Mathura, in which 23 passengers died, officials said on Friday.
The accident occurred when two Delhi-bound passenger trains collided early Wednesday in Uttar Pradesh`s Mathura city. The Goa Express rammed into the stationary Mewar Express.
Divisional Railway Manager R.D. Tripathi and the other officials were transferred late Thursday.
Railway sources said this was done at the insistence of Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee who wanted to send a strong message of zero tolerance as far as the safety of passengers was concerned.
The Mewar Express made an unscheduled stop because an undertrial pulled the emergency chain. Three constables from Rajasthan who were accompanying him have been arrested, presented before a magistrate Thursday, and sent to jail.
A case of negligence and rash driving has been registered against R.K. Chaturvedi, the driver of the Goa Express.
Sources said the Goa Express was speeding at the Mathura railway station at 50 km per hour against the stipulated speed limit of 10 km per hour.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists