Maulana Azad Medical College finds mention in WikiLeaks cable
New Delhi: The Maulana Azad Medical College here finds a rare mention in a US diplomatic cable during Henry Kissinger era which says that the hospital caters to around 3,000 out patients daily.
In a cable to Washington, the then US Ambassador Daniel Moynihan said Dr Hari Vaishnava, professor of medicine, gave them the information that there were at least 1,700 people admitted to Maulana Azad Medical College, associated with Irwin and Pant hospitals, at any given point of time.
The US mission here relayed the information to Washington after one Dr Ralph Yodaiken, Professor of Pathology in Emory Medical School in Atlanta, sought information about the diabetic clinic in the medical college here.
"Maulana Azad Medical College associated with Irwin hospital and G B Pant Hospital -- the combined outpatients attendance 3000 daily. Inpatients 1,700 at any one time. Annual turnover 65,000. Diabetic load 1,400 per year: 70 per cent above 40 year of age, ratio male to female 2:1.
"Diabetic Clinic has been in existence for last 12 years. Records of over 7,000 patients available. Modern facilities available including Radio Immunoassay of Insulin. So far over 50 publications on Diabetic," the cable on December 21, 1973, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves