Maulana Azad Medical College finds mention in WikiLeaks cable
New Delhi: The Maulana Azad Medical College here finds a rare mention in a US diplomatic cable during Henry Kissinger era which says that the hospital caters to around 3,000 out patients daily.
In a cable to Washington, the then US Ambassador Daniel Moynihan said Dr Hari Vaishnava, professor of medicine, gave them the information that there were at least 1,700 people admitted to Maulana Azad Medical College, associated with Irwin and Pant hospitals, at any given point of time.
The US mission here relayed the information to Washington after one Dr Ralph Yodaiken, Professor of Pathology in Emory Medical School in Atlanta, sought information about the diabetic clinic in the medical college here.
"Maulana Azad Medical College associated with Irwin hospital and G B Pant Hospital -- the combined outpatients attendance 3000 daily. Inpatients 1,700 at any one time. Annual turnover 65,000. Diabetic load 1,400 per year: 70 per cent above 40 year of age, ratio male to female 2:1.
"Diabetic Clinic has been in existence for last 12 years. Records of over 7,000 patients available. Modern facilities available including Radio Immunoassay of Insulin. So far over 50 publications on Diabetic," the cable on December 21, 1973, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Sonam Kapoor in awe of Anamika Khanna, stuns in beige drape- Pic you cannot miss!
- WATCH: INCREDIBLE! When The Great Khali crushed two opponents in under a minute!
- Microsoft improves OneDrive photos, adds 'Pokemon Go' detector
- Munich attack: Facebook activates safety check tool
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week