Maulana Azad Medical College finds mention in WikiLeaks cable
New Delhi: The Maulana Azad Medical College here finds a rare mention in a US diplomatic cable during Henry Kissinger era which says that the hospital caters to around 3,000 out patients daily.
In a cable to Washington, the then US Ambassador Daniel Moynihan said Dr Hari Vaishnava, professor of medicine, gave them the information that there were at least 1,700 people admitted to Maulana Azad Medical College, associated with Irwin and Pant hospitals, at any given point of time.
The US mission here relayed the information to Washington after one Dr Ralph Yodaiken, Professor of Pathology in Emory Medical School in Atlanta, sought information about the diabetic clinic in the medical college here.
"Maulana Azad Medical College associated with Irwin hospital and G B Pant Hospital -- the combined outpatients attendance 3000 daily. Inpatients 1,700 at any one time. Annual turnover 65,000. Diabetic load 1,400 per year: 70 per cent above 40 year of age, ratio male to female 2:1.
"Diabetic Clinic has been in existence for last 12 years. Records of over 7,000 patients available. Modern facilities available including Radio Immunoassay of Insulin. So far over 50 publications on Diabetic," the cable on December 21, 1973, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested