Maulana Sadiq`s remarks do not imply Muslims are sympathetic towards Modi: NCP
New Delhi: Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Tariq Anwar on Saturday said Maulana Kalbe Sadiq`s statement that Muslim doors are not closed for talking to Narendra Modi meant that there is scope for forgiveness in Islam, but it does not imply that Muslims are sympathetic towards the Gujarat Chief Minister.
"Maulana Kalbe Sadiqji is a very religious man. I feel, he said that in Islam there is scope for forgiveness, it does not mean that Muslims have sympathy for Modi. The entire nation saw the 2002 Gujarat riots, and the way minorities are being treated there even today, I don`t think a real patriot can think of Narendra Modi as the prime minister of the country," he said.
Earlier this week, Maulana Kalbe Sadiq said Modi should show that he cares for Muslims.
The All India Muslim Personal Law Board deputy chief said Modi can garner votes for the BJP, if he shows that he cares for Muslims.
"What (Modi) did (Godhra Riots) was wrong, but if he is willing to change, then we are also willing to change. My religion says that (if) any criminal expresses regret, then we should overlook his or her`s mistakes," said Maulana Kalbe Sadiq.
The noted scholar, however, added that it cannot be forgotten that the 63-year-old Modi did fail to prevent the Gujarat riots.
Underlining that communalism is a far greater danger for India than Pakistan and China, the Shia cleric said: "I would request him (Modi) to ensure that what happened in the past is not repeated, and instead work for the development of India. He should focus on tackling the bigger problems facing our country."
"I am not the custodian of all Muslims, but, if I see that Modi is making changes, then I will back him. I can`t say this for all Muslims, but, I will personally back him," he added.
On Maulana Kalbe Sadiq`s statement that Muslim doors are not closed for talking to Modi, Maulana Khalid Rasheed Firangi Mahali, the Naib Imam of Lucknow`s Aishbagh Eidgah, on Friday said: "This could be his personal opinion. The community does not have the same thinking."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’