Mauritius seeks India’s cooperation to combat piracy, militancy
Port Louis: President Pranab Mukherjee met his Mauritius counterpart President Rajkeswur Purryag in Port Louis, with an aim to enhance bilateral relations and cooperation to combat militancy and piracy.
Mukherjee arrived in Port Louis, capital of Mauritius, on Monday to be the chief guest at the National Day celebrations as Mauritius will observe its 45th Independence Day on Tuesday (March 12).
Purryag and his wife accorded a warm welcome to Mukherjee and his daughter Sharmishta.
Mukherjee, while addressing the state banquet hosted by Prime Minister of the Republic of Mauritius, Navinchandra Ramgoolam, said that both the countries shared a unique relationship.
"I thank you Excellency for your kind words and agree with your remarks that India and Mauritius share a unique relationship," said Mukherjee.
India and Mauritius will sign several bilateral pacts in social sectors, including health and tourism, during his three-day visit.
President Rajkeswur Purryag said that Mauritius would work closely with India to combat this scourge of terrorism as well as piracy.
"We fully share India`s concerns on this issue and we will continue to work closely with you to combat this scourge of terrorism as well as piracy with a view to keep the sea lanes of the Indian Ocean secure," said Purryag.
During his visit, Mukherjee will also meet his Mauritius Prime Minister Navin C Ramgoolam, Speaker of the National Assembly Abdool Razack Peeroo, Chief Justice Y K J Yeung Sik Yuen and Leader of the Opposition Paul Berenger.
While the President of Mauritius would be hosting a lunch in honour of President Mukherjee, the Prime Minister would be hosting a banquet.
Mauritius is a popular source of foreign investments into India, accounting for around 40 percent of portfolio inflows according to some estimates.
President Mukherjee will get a degree of Doctor of Civil Law Honoris Causa by the University of Mauritius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings