Maximum security for Afghan Indian Missions
New Delhi: The government has ordered
"maximum security" for Indian Missions and other assets in
Afghanistan in the wake of a heightened threat from Taliban
and other Pakistan-based terror groups that it might carry out
a wave of attacks, including car bomb blasts.
The directive to ITBP to beef up security came after
intelligence inputs suggesting that apart from the embassy in
Kabul, consulates in Kandahar, Jalalabad, Mazar-e-Sharif and
Herat, besides development and reconstruction projects being
carried out by Indians could be targeted by Taliban or other
terrorist groups based in Pakistan.
"The ITBP, which has been guarding Indian assets in
Afghanistan, has been alerted twice in the past few weeks and
asked to heighten security," a government official said.
The intelligence inputs suggested that terrorists could
launch a wave of attacks, involving explosion of car-bomb
followed by assault by gunmen, the officials said.
The Taliban launched a major attack in the centre of Kabul
today, hitting NATO`s coalition force headquarters next to the
US embassy in the Afghan capital.
Nearly 200 ITBP personnel, who guard the embassy that has
already been targeted twice since 2008, and Indian nationals
working on developmental projects have been alerted about the
possibility of the attacks.
The government has ordered "maximum security" for all of
them, the official said.
New Delhi has also requested Kabul to deploy adequate
Afghan security personnel in the Indian missions as well as
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter