Maya govt diverting Central funds: Cong
Lucknow: The Congress on Tuesday charged the
Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh with spending nearly Rs
14,000 crore on setting up parks and memorials in the name of
A large portion of Central funds was also diverted to
these projects, Congress leader Akhilesh Pratap Singh said
"Between July 2007 and August `09, the Rashtriya Nirman
Nigam alone has spent over Rs 4436.46 crore on memorials and
parks set up in the name of Dr Ambedkar and Kanshi Ram," he
The state government had already spent Rs 14,000 crore
and, in all, planned to spend more than Rs 25,000 crore on
such projects, Singh said.
The Congress leader alleged the construction work on
these projects did not conform to the Master Plan.
"Almost one-third of the state budget has been spent
on stone and construction works," he said.
The party would stage a protest in New Delhi on April
19 against the "diversion" of central funds, chairman of the
RTI cell of the party Shailendra Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Pleasant music helps employees turn in better performances: Study
- Unbelievable! Airtel offers 10 GB 4G data at just Rs 250
- Using Facebook, Twitter may cut BP, diabetes in elderly
- Masala bonds to ease capital constraints for banks: Fitch
- 23-year-old rejected by Indian Army `because he has a Modi tattoo on his chest`