Maya govt diverting Central funds: Cong
Lucknow: The Congress on Tuesday charged the
Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh with spending nearly Rs
14,000 crore on setting up parks and memorials in the name of
A large portion of Central funds was also diverted to
these projects, Congress leader Akhilesh Pratap Singh said
"Between July 2007 and August `09, the Rashtriya Nirman
Nigam alone has spent over Rs 4436.46 crore on memorials and
parks set up in the name of Dr Ambedkar and Kanshi Ram," he
The state government had already spent Rs 14,000 crore
and, in all, planned to spend more than Rs 25,000 crore on
such projects, Singh said.
The Congress leader alleged the construction work on
these projects did not conform to the Master Plan.
"Almost one-third of the state budget has been spent
on stone and construction works," he said.
The party would stage a protest in New Delhi on April
19 against the "diversion" of central funds, chairman of the
RTI cell of the party Shailendra Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- WHO declares Brazil free of measles
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support