Maya govt diverting Central funds: Cong
Lucknow: The Congress on Tuesday charged the
Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh with spending nearly Rs
14,000 crore on setting up parks and memorials in the name of
A large portion of Central funds was also diverted to
these projects, Congress leader Akhilesh Pratap Singh said
"Between July 2007 and August `09, the Rashtriya Nirman
Nigam alone has spent over Rs 4436.46 crore on memorials and
parks set up in the name of Dr Ambedkar and Kanshi Ram," he
The state government had already spent Rs 14,000 crore
and, in all, planned to spend more than Rs 25,000 crore on
such projects, Singh said.
The Congress leader alleged the construction work on
these projects did not conform to the Master Plan.
"Almost one-third of the state budget has been spent
on stone and construction works," he said.
The party would stage a protest in New Delhi on April
19 against the "diversion" of central funds, chairman of the
RTI cell of the party Shailendra Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign loans
- 78 dead, 500 hurt by storms in eastern China
- Brexit poll: In or out? British bookmakers see more bets placed on Britain staying in European Union
- Day after 30 cows found dead, police chalks out plan to prevent smuggling
- Mathura violence: Two security staff of Ram Vriksh Yadav arrested