Mayawati criticises Congress for `disrespecting` poor
Lucknow: Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) chief Mayawati on Saturday criticised the Congress for "complete disrespect" to poor people in the country, saying that recent comments of its leaders indicated they did not know what being poor meant.
The former Uttar Pradesh chief minister told journalists that Congress leaders` comments that people can have a meal at Rs 5 and Rs 12 showed how much the party is cut off from ground realities in the country.
"On one hand while prices of essential commodities are sky-rocketing, the Congress is poking fun of the pitiable living conditions of the poor and the common man," she said.
The BSP chief also criticised the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) on the Food Security Bill and charged it with fooling people with such gimmicks.
"Two years back when the Supreme Court had asked the union government to distribute food grains decaying in godowns (sheds) and open spaces, the UPA did not act... Why now shed crocodile tears by bringing the food security bill," she asked.
Mayawati, however, hastened to add that while her party principally supported the spirit behind the bill, she was against the hasty manner in which it was rushed through as an ordinance by the UPA government.
It would have been better had the bill be tabled in Parliament and concerns of everyone were taken into account, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest