Mayawati demands immediate roll back of rail fare hike
Lucknow: Terming the rail fare hike as anti-people, Bahujan Samaj Party ( BSP) chief Mayawati on Thursday demanded its immediate rollback.
"Hike in railway fares was one of the many anti-common man policies of the government. We demand immediate rollback of the government decision," Mayawati said.
In the pre-Budget measure, the government had announced an across-the-board increase in rail passenger fares with effect from January 21 to net an additional Rs 6,600 crore a year, the first such increase in a decade.
Making the announcement here yesterday, Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said the second-class ordinary suburban fares have been raised by two paise per kilometer and second class ordinary non-suburban services by three paise per kilometer.
Second class mail and express train fares have been increased by four paise per kilometer and sleeper class by six paise per kilometer. Bansal said the AC Chair Car and AC 3 Tier, fares will go up by 10 paise per kilometer.
Bansal said that an additional 6,600 crore rupees revenue will be generated per year, out of which, Rs 1000 crores will be earned from AC fares. He said the fare hike announced after a decade had become imperative to bring down railway losses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof