Mayawati plays waiting game on support to UPA
Lucknow: Acting on expected lines, Bahujan Samaj Party supremo Mayawati on Wednesday chose to continue with the waiting game and decided not to withdraw her party’s outside support to the UPA government at the Centre, for now.
Addressing the press after a meeting of the national executive of BSP, Mayawati said, “Our party has given outside support to UPA government on the belief that it will keep communal elements out of power and that it will take care of the interests of the Dalits and other weaker sections of the society. However, sadly, the Centre’s response on the issue has been disappointing.”
“Also, people of the country are worried about price rise and other unpopular decisions taken by the government,” she added.
Making her party’s stand clear, Mayawati said, “The national executive has decided to leave it to me to take a final decision (on withdrawing support to UPA government). I have been entrusted to take appropriate decision at the right time; hence, I will have to look at all points and issues before taking a call on the matter.”
However, Mayawati indicated that she will take a final decision soon.
Bahujan Samaj Party has 21 MPs in Lok Sabha and is giving outside support to the Centre along with Samajwadi Party’s 22 MPs.
She had yesterday said the next Parliamentary polls slated to be held in 2014, may be advanced and asked her cadres to be ready for it.
Addressing BSP workers at a ’sankalp maharally’ to mark the sixth death anniversary of party founder Kanshi Ram, she said, “It looks as if Lok Sabha polls could be held earlier.”
Analysts had predicted that it would be difficult for Mayawati to pull the plug and trigger the fall of UPA government at this juncture. It is only months since Samajwadi Party registered a thumping victory in Uttar Pradesh assembly polls; Mayawati would surely like to wait for some more months and then play on anti-incumbency with the hope to trounce Mulayam Singh’s party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling