Mayawati sees possibility of mid-term LS polls
New Delhi: Accusing Congress of targeting
BSP to divert the people`s attention from the "all-round
failure" of the central government, Uttar Pradesh Chief
Minister Mayawati on Saturday said mid-term polls could not be ruled
as the UPA may not complete its tenure.
Addressing a meeting of BSP`s National Executive and
office bearers here, Mayawati said people were angry at the
"failure" of the Congress-led UPA government in curbing
corruption and spiralling prices.
"It seems the UPA government will not be able to complete
its full term and mid-term polls could take place," she told
She claimed opposition parties, "especially Congress" in
Uttar Pradesh, were adopting various tactics to damage the
Mayawati said Congress` strategy to target BSP was an
effort divert the people`s attention from the "failures" of
the UPA government. "But it seems that people are not ready to
forgive it (Congress)," she said.
Mayawati had said yesterday that Congress might make
either Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar or Union Minister
Sushil Kumar Shinde the Prime Minister to split the Dalit vote
in UP assembly polls.
Today, she said with the possibility of mid-term polls
looming large, the cadre should prepare accordingly.
This was the first-ever address by the BSP chief at the
party`s newly-constructed central office at Gurudwara
Mayawati asked office bearers from states, including
Uttar Pradesh and Punjab where assembly elections are due
early next year, to send her the feedback on the weakness in
party organisation in the two states.
She told the party leaders that they could "replicate"
the example of Uttar Pradesh to build on the organisation to
ensure that they come to power on their own.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof