Mayawati slams Cong on quota issue
New Delhi: BSP chief Mayawati, who virtually arm-twisted the government to bring the quota bill for SC/ST, on Thursday slammed Congress for not doing any such thing because of which condition of these communities deteriorated.
Participating in a debate on the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill, 2012 in Rajya Sabha, she said had the intention of the Congress government been clear on the issue, situation would not have deteriorated to the present extent.
Congress ruled the nation for a long time but sadly BSP has to explain to its MPs the need for quota in promotions to SC/ST, she said.
"It is a matter of sadness....The truth is bitter. We only know how we could get the bill moved in a situation where under a planned conspiracy the bill was opposed. It is being portrayed as if it is for the first time that such a move has been initiated by the Centre, whereas the fact is such provisions existed but faced impediments," she said.
The bill, which would circumvent the Supreme Court order quashing such a decision of Uttar Pradesh government in April, is being pushed by Mayawati and reportedly was a condition for her support to the UPA on the FDI issue last week.
Mayawati cited various court verdicts due to which such promotions could be stopped in states like Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh.
Advocating the need for promoting SC/ST communities, she said at the same time an impression is being created that BSP is opposed to quota in promotion to those from backward classes.
The present amendment cannot include backward communities but if any such step is initiated later, BSP will support the bill.
"In fact, my party is also in favour of giving reservation to people from the upper caste who are economically weak," she said, urging political parties to support the bill during voting.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016
- Time flies! Emraan Hashmi reminisces four years of 'Jannat 2'
- Russia says bolstering forces to counter NATO