Mayawati slams Congress, BJP for quota bill delay
New Delhi: Minutes after the SC/ST quota bill for reservation in promotions was tabled in the Rajya Sabha on Wednesaday, BSP supremo Mayawati accused the Congress-led UPA and BJP-led NDA for going slow on the Bill.
Mayawati said that Congress and BJP have put the Bill on the backburner due to political reasons. “The Bill has been introduced just three days before the end of the Monsoon Session, giving little time for debate and to pass it,” she said.
“The Congress delayed the Bill and did not introduce it in the last session as they wanted their candidate to win the Presidential elections and now the BJP is not cooperating as they feel that by cornering the UPA government they can win the elections in 2014,” she said.
“If the BJP sets aside their protest even for a few hours, the Bill can be passed but they (BJP leaders) have told me that they will continue disrupting the house demanding resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh over coal allocations,” she added.
A bill allowing reservation in promotions for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in government jobs is slated to be tabled in Rajya Sabha today after the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, yesterday approved the proposal for making provisions for quotas for SC/STs in promotions in government jobs, clearing the deck for introduction of a Constitution Amendment Bill in the ongoing session of Parliament.
Yesterday, Mayawati along with her party colleague Satish Chandra Mishra had met Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley, urging them to allow Parliament to function so that this Bill could be taken up.
Mayawati, who has been a strong proponent of the issue, had raised apprehensions over the passage of the Bill in this session owing to regular adjournment and had appealed to NDA allies, especially BJP, as well as UPA partners to "help" in passage of the Bill.
The previous Mayawati government of Uttar Pradesh had accorded the reservation in promotions but it was quashed by the Supreme Court earlier this year. The Bill is being brought to circumvent that order of the Apex court.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer