Mayor of top Chinese city sacked over corruption
Beijing: China on Saturday sacked the mayor of the the major eastern city of Nanjing for alleged embezzlement of USD 3.3 million from state funds, the latest high-profile case in a nationwide crackdown on corruption.
Ji Jianye, 56, was "removed from his post for suspected serious disciplinary violations," state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The decision was made by the Organisation Department of the ruling Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee.
Ji, also a deputy secretary of the Nanjing municipal committee of the CPC, was accused of embezzling USD 3.3 million from state funds.
He had been mayor of Nanjing, the capital of east China`s Jiangsu Province with a population of about seven million, since January 2010.
Ji`s dismissal followed an announcement by the party`s corruption watchdog that he was under investigation.
A number of senior officials were removed in the anti- corruption drive launched by President Xi Jinping after he took office in November last year.
He had said public anger over graft threatened the future of the party and promised action against "tigers" - top-level officials - as well as "flies", the lower level bureaucracy.
Ji, who has overseen the massive constructions making Nanjing one of the most modern cities of the country, was regarded as one of the most senior officials to be prosecuted.
A number of high-profile officials, including the former railways minister and a top economic planner, were prosecuted in recent times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon