MCD blames Punjab, Haryana for dengue surge
New Delhi: Neighbouring states like Punjab
and Haryana are responsible for rising dengue cases in the
city as they have "little or no initiative" to control
mosquito breeding, a senior MCD official said.
Dengue cases originate in neighbouring states and
spread to the city due to unchecked mosquito breeding there.
People get affected and come to Delhi for treatment leading to
transmission of the disease, V K Mongia, MCD`s Health Committee
"The rampant anti-mosquito breeding drive that is
carried out here is not prevalent in the NCR region. As such
mosquito breeding there goes unchecked and when people from
those areas travel to Delhi, transmission of the disease
begins," he said.
Mongia said that Najafgarh, which is close to Gurgaon,
reports a lot of dengue cases due to this factor.
Moreover, "dengue patients coming from Gurgaon for
treatment in Apollo Hospital or those coming from Ghaziabad
for treatment in GTB Hospital show their relative`s address in
Delhi as their own. Ultimately the count of Delhi cases rises,"
Till date, the national capital has reported 5,553
"The domestic breeding checker (DBC) culture is
there only in one or two places in the world and in India it
is only found in Delhi. Countries like Thailand and Malaysia
who report a huge number of dengue cases too do not have DBC
facility in place.
"In India, especially in Delhi, these DBC workers
go from door-to-door every 15 days to check mosquito breeding
in houses. However, this practice is not prevalent in
neighbouring states," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!