MCI approval to Gian Sagar Medical College, 77 others
New Delhi: The Medical Council of India
has given approval to 78 medical colleges for the current
academic year including Gian Sagar Medical College of Patiala,
for whose recognition then MCI director Ketan Desai had
allegedly demanded a bribe of Rs two crore.
Desai was subsequently arrested along with associate
Jitender Pal Singh and a representative of the college by CBI
In other decisions, out of the 100 medical colleges it
reviewed in June, the council`s Board of Governors decided to
disapprove the scheme submitted for the establishment of 19
new medical colleges.
Thirteen colleges were not given permission to
increase seats and other issues.
Gian Sagar College was given permission for renewal of
running 100 seats for the academic year 2010-11.
Desai and two others were arrested for allegedly
accepting a bribe of Rs two crore to grant recognition to it.
CBI sleuths also conducted raids at the Gian Sagar
Medical College and Hospital, Banur and other properties.
The MCI had said that it had conducted fresh
inspection and review of the college after Desai`s arrest.
MCI`s main objectives include maintenance of uniform
standards of medical education and recommendation for
recognition/de-recognition of medical qualifications of
medical institutions of India or foreign countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach