MCI approval to Gian Sagar Medical College, 77 others
New Delhi: The Medical Council of India
has given approval to 78 medical colleges for the current
academic year including Gian Sagar Medical College of Patiala,
for whose recognition then MCI director Ketan Desai had
allegedly demanded a bribe of Rs two crore.
Desai was subsequently arrested along with associate
Jitender Pal Singh and a representative of the college by CBI
In other decisions, out of the 100 medical colleges it
reviewed in June, the council`s Board of Governors decided to
disapprove the scheme submitted for the establishment of 19
new medical colleges.
Thirteen colleges were not given permission to
increase seats and other issues.
Gian Sagar College was given permission for renewal of
running 100 seats for the academic year 2010-11.
Desai and two others were arrested for allegedly
accepting a bribe of Rs two crore to grant recognition to it.
CBI sleuths also conducted raids at the Gian Sagar
Medical College and Hospital, Banur and other properties.
The MCI had said that it had conducted fresh
inspection and review of the college after Desai`s arrest.
MCI`s main objectives include maintenance of uniform
standards of medical education and recommendation for
recognition/de-recognition of medical qualifications of
medical institutions of India or foreign countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi