MCI need to have autonomy: Left
Chandigarh: CPI (M) on Friday favoured autonomy in the functioning of Medical Council of India (MCI) with no government intervention in the affairs of the Council.
"The government should disband the MCI...it should be made accountable and there should be no government intervention in its functioning," CPI(M) central committee
member Nilotpal Basu told reporters here.
He said that the standing committee of Parliament has pointed out irregularities and corruption in the functioning of the MCI around four years back.
The governance of the MCI is a concern. The regulators need to have autonomy," he said.
Basu was reacting to the Union Cabinet`s reported move to
reconstitute the MCI.
The Union Cabinet yesterday decided in principle to
dissolve the MCI whose chief Ketan Desai was arrested by the
CBI on graft charges on April 22.
The Cabinet at its meeting also decided to replace the MCI
by a seven-member body of eminent doctors which will look
after the functions of the MCI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere