MCI need to have autonomy: Left
Chandigarh: CPI (M) on Friday favoured autonomy in the functioning of Medical Council of India (MCI) with no government intervention in the affairs of the Council.
"The government should disband the MCI...it should be made accountable and there should be no government intervention in its functioning," CPI(M) central committee
member Nilotpal Basu told reporters here.
He said that the standing committee of Parliament has pointed out irregularities and corruption in the functioning of the MCI around four years back.
The governance of the MCI is a concern. The regulators need to have autonomy," he said.
Basu was reacting to the Union Cabinet`s reported move to
reconstitute the MCI.
The Union Cabinet yesterday decided in principle to
dissolve the MCI whose chief Ketan Desai was arrested by the
CBI on graft charges on April 22.
The Cabinet at its meeting also decided to replace the MCI
by a seven-member body of eminent doctors which will look
after the functions of the MCI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM