MCI plans to conduct exams for MBBS students
New Delhi: As part of its proposals to
make the undergraduate medical education programme more
qualitative, the Medical Council of India plans to conduct
licentiate examinations for MBBS students before they qualify
for their graduate degrees.
The MCI intends to conduct licentiate examination
after internship completion to qualify for Indian Medical
Graduate (IMG) status, the common entrance examination for
which would be held prior to the internship in order to make
internship period more productive.
The proposed new undergraduate medical education
programme is designed to create an Indian Medical Graduate who
will at the time of graduation from the MBBS programme,
effectively fulfil the roles of clinician, leader,
communicator and lifelong learner, professional with a set of
competencies, a member of the council said.
The proposed framework suggests introduction of a two
year Master of Medicine (M Med) programme equivalent to
existing diplomas in various clinical specialities.
After M Med, the graduates will be able to compete for
Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Master of Surgery (MS) and other
dual degree programs (MD- PhD; MD- MHA; MD- DM and MD-
fellowships) through competitive examinations in their
The outlined strategy will increase the availability
of specialists to provide community care, the member said.
The vision also envisages accreditation and ranking of
institutions and promotion of research for faculty promotion,
continuing professional development (CPD).
The proposals would be discussed at a meeting of Vice
Chancellors of State Health Universities, State or Union
Territory Directorates of Medical Education, Principals or
Deans of the medical colleges, Heads of Postgraduate
Institutes, higher management officials and key
representatives from Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...