MEA is undergoing change: Salman Khurshid
Bangalore: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Tuesday said his ministry is contemplating a plan to have people from industry on-board to facilitate on issues relating to economic diplomacy.
"External Affairs ministry is undergoing a change because of the requirements that Indian diplomats may have to fulfill" he said at a Federation of Karnataka Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FKCCI) event here.
".....We are looking at innovative methods by which people will come on deputation, hopefully one day we will have more people coming from industry - join us for few years, spend couple of postings abroad and return back to their career."
He said expectations and demand from the Indian diplomatic service has changed, as have changed in the rest of the world.
Stating that Indian diplomatic service is relatively small in size, he said, "we have to grow, we have a plan for doubling the size over the ten years."
"Every year the intake is increasing," he added.
As of now, the ministry has 700 odd IFS (Indian Foreign Service) cadre officials, and it has plans to build the strength to 1200 by 2018.
On the public diplomacy initiative of the ministry, he said "It is essentially an outreach to add to capital diplomatic instruments and diplomatic exercise we take. It is to show what we are doing and make it more effective and add different dimension as greater public participation takes place."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi silent on scams like Manmohan Singh: Arvind Kejriwal
- French Open 2016: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic roll on, symmetry for Williams sisters
- Premier League: Jose Mourinho all set to take control at Manchester United
- Zika not a reason to cancel Rio Olympics, says US health official