MEA takes up Kalam frisking issue with US authorities
New Delhi: The External Affairs Ministry has taken up the issue of frisking of former President A P J Abdul Kalam by officials of the Continental Airlines with the US authorities, highly-placed sources said on Tuesday.
The sources said the Civil Aviation Ministry has already
briefed the MEA regarding the factual position on the matter.
While a complaint has been filed with the Delhi Police,
"this has not yet been put into a chargesheet as there are
some gray areas", they said.
The three-month-old incident created an uproar in the
country, with political leaders raising the issue in
The Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) has
registered a complaint on the matter with the Station House
Officer of IGI Airport Police Station.
In its complaint, the BCAS has said an enquiry found that
the staff had wrongfully carried out pre-embarkation body
check of Kalam under the direction of airlines`
Security-in-charge, Country Director and Station Manager.
The BCAS also said the body check was in gross violation
of its circular which exempt specified VVIPS and VIPs from
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also deplored the incident
and said Kalam was entitled to all courtesies that are
extended to the Heads and former Heads of State.
Continental Airlines have apologized for the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video