Meal remark: Raj Babbar, Farooq Abdullah express regret
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: While it`s still not clear where a meal can be found for Rs 12 in Mumbai, yesteryears` actor and Congress leader has surely eaten his words.
Raj Babbar on Friday apologised for his remarks about `Rs 12 meal` that caused national outrage.
Expressing regret, Raj Babbar said he was only referring to below poverty line (BPL) families.
The Congress had earlier distanced itself from such remarks, with spokesperson Ajay Maken saying the remarks by party leaders about Rs 5 or Rs 12 meal were their `personal opinion` and not of the party.
Raj Babbar had on Wednesday said that it was possible to have "full meal at Rs 12 in Mumbai" even today, a remark that drew sharp reaction from BJP, which dubbed it "laughable".
"People should have full meals two times a day. How one can have it is a very good question that you have asked. Even today in Mumbai city, I can have a full meal at Rs 12. No no not bada paav. So much of rice, daal saambhar and with that some vegetables are also mixed," he told reporters.
Yesterday, Congress leader Rasheed Masood had said that Rs 5 is sufficient for having a hearty meal in Delhi.
And today, Union Minister of New & Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah, of the National Conference, justified the Planning Commission`s definition of poverty saying one can have a full meal for Re 1, if desired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing