‘Meaning of sexy has undergone a change’
Bhopal: National Commission for Women (NCW) Chairperson Mamta Sharma whose remark that the word "sexy" should not be taken in a negative connotation had sparked a controversy, today said that she stood by her statement on the issue.
"I have not withdrawn my statement and I stood by it. With time the meaning of such words also changes," Sharma told reporters when asked on the issue.
She was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a programme organised by an NGO here.
When further pressed on the issue, Sharma retorted by asking mediapersons whether they agree with the kind of vulgar content being shown on television these days.
"Today nobody can watch television programmes at home with his/her family, but nobody said anything about it," she said.
When asked whether she supports West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who recently appealed people to not watch news on television, Sharma said she did not endorse the chief minister`s announcement of launching a news channel and a newspaper.
The NCW chief had drawn the ire of women`s rights activists over her remark at a function in Jaipur in February that the word "sexy" meant "beautiful and charming" and should not be taken in a negative sense.
"I was positive in my approach so I said that. One should take it in a positive sense," she said.
However, when reporters tried to corner her on her argument, she virtually ended the press conference at that point and got up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan