‘Meaning of sexy has undergone a change’
Bhopal: National Commission for Women (NCW) Chairperson Mamta Sharma whose remark that the word "sexy" should not be taken in a negative connotation had sparked a controversy, today said that she stood by her statement on the issue.
"I have not withdrawn my statement and I stood by it. With time the meaning of such words also changes," Sharma told reporters when asked on the issue.
She was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a programme organised by an NGO here.
When further pressed on the issue, Sharma retorted by asking mediapersons whether they agree with the kind of vulgar content being shown on television these days.
"Today nobody can watch television programmes at home with his/her family, but nobody said anything about it," she said.
When asked whether she supports West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who recently appealed people to not watch news on television, Sharma said she did not endorse the chief minister`s announcement of launching a news channel and a newspaper.
The NCW chief had drawn the ire of women`s rights activists over her remark at a function in Jaipur in February that the word "sexy" meant "beautiful and charming" and should not be taken in a negative sense.
"I was positive in my approach so I said that. One should take it in a positive sense," she said.
However, when reporters tried to corner her on her argument, she virtually ended the press conference at that point and got up.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm