Mecca blast: CBI to probe Ajmer blast detainee role
New Delhi: The CBI will soon take into
custody two people arrested by Rajasthan Police in connection
with the Ajmer blast to probe their role in the Mecca Masjid
blast in Hyderabad following evidence of links between the two
The country`s premier investigating agency also said it
is in hot pursuit of Swami Ashimanand in Gujarat after he came
under the scanner of Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) in
connection with the Malegaon blast.
CBI Director Ashwani Kumar said there were clear
indications of links between the blasts in Ajmer and Mecca
Masjid both of which occurred in 2007 therefore requiring the
custody of two people arrested by Rajasthan police.
Asked whether the CBI would like to get hold of some more
people who are believed to be hiding in Gujarat, Kumar said
"you are talking about Ashimanand and (Sunil) Dange. Yes those
people are wanted and we have been wanting them since the time
Rajasthan Police wanted them."
He said the CBI would like to question Ashimanand in
detail in connection with the Mecca Masjid blast.
Besides Dange and Ashimanand, CBI also said security
agencies were looking for Ram Narayan Kalsangrah in connection
with various terrorism related cases where the role of people
associated with Hindu groups have come to the fore.
In this regard, CBI is hot on the trail of Davindra Gupta
and Chandrashekar to look into their possible involvement in
the Mecca Masjid blast.
The duo is under the scanner for purchase of SIM cards
and timer devices which were used to trigger the blast in
Ajmer on October 12, 2007.
Two pilgrims were killed and nine others, including a
child, were injured in the terror attack when a crude bomb
went off at the sufi shrine of Khawaja Moinuddhin Chishti in
Ajmer where thousands of devout had gathered to break their
day-long Ramzan fast.
The probe had suggested that modus operandi, nature of
explosives and the kind of bomb used in the Ajmer blast
was identical to Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad, the probe of
which is being done by CBI.
The low-intensity improvised bomb which was kept in a tin
box, with a packing of iron pipes, in Ajmer was similar to the
contraption used in the Mecca blast, the sources said.
CBI has refrained from commenting on the issue
officially, but the sources said a team had moved in to
question the duo and their links with some of the accused
identified by the agency in connection with the Mecca blasts.
Five persons died in the blast and nine in the subsequent
police firing outside the mosque on Friday when thousands of
Muslims gathered for prayers on May 18, 2007.
Against the backdrop of some Hindu extremist groups
allegedly being involved in some blasts, Rajasthan ATS had
been probing the links of Abhinav Bharat which is alleged to
be behind Malegaon blasts on September 29, 2008 in which
six persons were killed.
The Abhinav Bharat group came into picture during the
investigations of the Malegaon blast. The ATS probe headed by
its former chief Hemant Karkare, who was killed during the
Mumbai attack, had brought out the alleged role of the group
members in the planning and execution of the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow