Mecca Masjid blast accused sent to 14-day judicial remand
Hyderabad: An accused in the 2007 Mecca
Masjid bomb blast here was remanded in 14 days of judicial
custody by a city court today.
Devender Gupta was produced before the Additional
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate`s Court after completion of his
10-day CBI custody.
Nine persons were killed in the blast on May 18, 2007.
Meanwhile, CBI filed an application seeking a 10-day
extension of Gupta`s custody, stating the investigation in the
three-year-old case was still underway.
"There are so many witnesses to be examined and
confronted with statements give by the accused. The
investigation was still on and extension of Gupta`s custody by
10 more days is needed," CBI senior counsel T V Ramana argued.
The defence counsel said he will file a counter to the
CBI`s petition and requested the court for some time. The
judge then adjourned the matter till tomorrow and sent Gupta
in judicial custody.
Gupta, brought to the court amidst heavy security, was
later taken to Chanchalguda Central Prison. Another accused,
Lokesh Sharma, was yesterday sent in 10-day CBI remand.
Gupta and Sharma were brought here from Ajmer on June
17 by CBI as part of its further probe into the explosion.
CBI has till now named five persons (all allegedly
linked to Hindutva groups), including Gupta and Sharma, as
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read