Mechanism set up to avoid tensions with China: Antony
New Delhi: Government has set up a mechanism for border management to avoid tensions with China pending resolution of the boundary row, Defence Minister AK Antony said here on Monday.
"Everybody knows that border dispute is still unresolved. Inspite of the fact that many rounds of negotiations took place between (Special) Representatives of the two Prime Ministers, the border issue remains unresolved," he said on sidelines of a function on the annual day of Defence Accounts Department (DAD).
"At the same time, pending resolution of the border dispute, to avoid major tensions in the border government has set up mechanism for border management involving Services, MEA and other stake holders," Antony said responding to queries of reporters on the occasion of 50th anniversary of India-China war.
He, however, did not spell out details of the mechanism.
The Special Representatives of the two countries have held 15 rounds of talks so far alternatively in New Delhi and Beijing to address the issue.
Recently, Army Chief General Bikram Singh ruled out a repeat of 1962 war with China when India faced a defeat, assuring the nation that the armed forces are prepared to deal with any eventuality.
"I am assuring the nation that 1962 will not be repeated. That`s the assurance I am giving. We will not let any enemy enter our territory. Plans are afoot on all borders," Gen Singh had said.
To a question over the long pending demand of One Rank One Pension (OROP) by the ex-servicemen community, he said the government is sympathetic to their demands.
"It is an ongoing process. Even after financial crisis, we are taking care of their cases that means we are sympathetic, we know still there are problems. It is an ongoing process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?