Mechanism set up to avoid tensions with China: Antony
New Delhi: Government has set up a mechanism for border management to avoid tensions with China pending resolution of the boundary row, Defence Minister AK Antony said here on Monday.
"Everybody knows that border dispute is still unresolved. Inspite of the fact that many rounds of negotiations took place between (Special) Representatives of the two Prime Ministers, the border issue remains unresolved," he said on sidelines of a function on the annual day of Defence Accounts Department (DAD).
"At the same time, pending resolution of the border dispute, to avoid major tensions in the border government has set up mechanism for border management involving Services, MEA and other stake holders," Antony said responding to queries of reporters on the occasion of 50th anniversary of India-China war.
He, however, did not spell out details of the mechanism.
The Special Representatives of the two countries have held 15 rounds of talks so far alternatively in New Delhi and Beijing to address the issue.
Recently, Army Chief General Bikram Singh ruled out a repeat of 1962 war with China when India faced a defeat, assuring the nation that the armed forces are prepared to deal with any eventuality.
"I am assuring the nation that 1962 will not be repeated. That`s the assurance I am giving. We will not let any enemy enter our territory. Plans are afoot on all borders," Gen Singh had said.
To a question over the long pending demand of One Rank One Pension (OROP) by the ex-servicemen community, he said the government is sympathetic to their demands.
"It is an ongoing process. Even after financial crisis, we are taking care of their cases that means we are sympathetic, we know still there are problems. It is an ongoing process," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof