Media demonising Muslim community: Markandey Katju
Hyderabad: "Discrimination" against Muslims is giving rise to a feeling of injustice among them, Press Council Chairman Markanedya Katju on Sunday claimed and rebuked the media for what he described as "demonising" Muslim community through "irresponsible" journalism.
"Whenever a bomb blast occurs or such incident takes place, within an hour or so many TV channels start showing that an email or sms has come from the Indian Mujahideen, JeM or Harkatuljihad-e-Islam, or some Muslim name, claiming responsibility.
"An email or sms can be sent by any mischievous person. But when your start screening this on TV and next day in print. The certain message you (media) are sending is that all Muslims are terrorists and they having nothing to do except to throw bombs....You are demonising the entire Muslim community and promoting communalism", Katju said.
He was addressing a symposium on "Reporting Terror: How Sensitive is the media?", organised by English daily `The Hindu`.
"Is this the responsible behaviour of the media? I think it is totally irresponsible behaviour which is promoting communalism in the country. This is very bad. I have raised voice against this, but they said I am suppressing the media", Katju said.
Observing that media should stick to ethics and be mindful of its national responsibility, Katju said, "Do you have the freedom to spread communalism? You will be stopped from doing devilish thing. I am a strong fighter for media`s freedom but I will not allow you to do such devilish things. You will have to have responsibility in the national interest".
Katju claimed the feeling of injustice was on the rise among Muslims owing to "discrimination" against them in various spheres.
"Unfortunately, Muslims are discriminated in getting jobs, banks loans and there is a sense of great injustice", he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price