Media is not raising issues related to villages: Anna Hazare
New Delhi: Activist Anna Hazare on Saturday said that journalism, which is the fourth pillar of the democracy, has now become infested with mites and it is a cause of concern.
"Journalism is the fourth pillar of the democracy which has to be strong, but it is a cause of concern that the pillar is also infested with mites," Hazare said while addressing a function to acknowledge the contributions in the field of Hindi journalism here.
Issues of development and villages were not being taken up by media, he said.
"Development of village does not mean constructing a new panchayat building or rising the height of the existing buildings. As with the rise in height of building, the ideologies of the people goes down, this is not development, development means make people strong from within," Hazare said.
The activist said presently we are following a development model, which is blindly extracting our natural and human resources.
"And Gandhiji had said that such a development was not good for anyone, as it may lead to disaster, we are facing acute shortage of water, what would happen to future generation if we continue with this model of development," Hazare said, adding we have to deeply look into it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez