Media protests at not being allowed to cover PM`s nomination
Guwahati: Media personnel staged protests here during the visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on being barred from covering his filing of nomination papers for the Rajya Sabha election.
Local and national media journalists, TV camerapersons and photographers were not allowed to enter the Assembly premises by authorities who said the PMO and Special Protection Group had debarred them from entering the premises.
The journalists alleged that Singh was shielded from taking questions on the reported dissidence in the state, Railgate and Coalgate, and prevented from talking to the scribes of Assam, which he called his home.
The media, they claimed, was being `gagged` by not being allowed to report on the prime minister filling his nomination papers as the representative of the people of Assam.
"It was not only the journalist fraternity which was insulted but also the people of Assam, whom he (the PM) has represented four times in Rajya Sabha," they said.
Following vociferous media protests for over three hours, several Assam ministers, AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh, APCC president Bhubaneswar Kalita and Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi came out to pacify them and said the Prime Minister was waiting in assembly premises to talk to them.
On the reporters` insistence that the Prime Minister should come out of the Assembly complex and talk to them, Singh came out and spoke to the media for around five minutes before leaving for the airport to return Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues