Media quite influencing, must be responsible: Prez
New Delhi: Advances in information and communication technologies have spread the reach of media manifold and therefore there is a need for the media to handle its influencing capacity with a sense of responsibility, President Pratibha Patil said Tuesday.
"Media is an integral part of a democratic set-up, as it is not only a conveyor of news to its readers and viewers but it also is one of the platforms for expressing views on issues of public interest of the day," Patil said.
"With advances in information and communication technologies in the last over two decades, the reach of the media has spread manifold. There is, therefore, a need for the media to handle its influencing capacity with a deep sense of responsibility to the nation," she added.
Patil advised the media to handle with sensitivity social issues like those relating to women, girls and children.
"In our society, many social evils continue to persist even though there are legislations against them. Dowry, child marriage, female foeticide and female infanticide have had a crippling effect on the lives of many," she said and added the media can create awareness about these problems.
"Another issue of concern, including for Kerala, is the growing population of the elderly. Elders in our society need special care and we must look into their needs and well-being," Patil said and sought more space for the issue in the media.
Patil was speaking at a function celebrating the completion of `Deepika`, a Malayalam daily.
In her speech, Patil congratulated the management of Deepika and said its founder Editor Father Emmanuel Nidhiry is remembered as a multi-faceted personality who was a versatile writer and social activist of the 19th century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'