Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Friday sought the media`s help in highlighting the issue of human rights violation in the country.
"NHRC wants the media to help it improve the situation of human rights in the country. The media should highlight the issue of human rights violations in the country," NHRC chairperson Justice K.G. Balakrishnan said at a workshop for journalists.
The former chief justice of India said the recommendations and directions of the NHRC are respected by the government, which believes in the sincerity of purpose of the human rights panel.
"NHRC is trying to improve the governance of the state and has nothing do with politics. NHRC wants the government to take interest in the issues of human rights," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India