Meena criticises BJP for ‘double speak’ on CAG
Agartala: Union Minister of state for Finance Nama Narain Meena on Thursday criticized the BJP for stalling parliament and its "double speak" on CAG.
"They accuse the Congress of blaming the CAG, but forget what they said about the CAG in the past. Arun Shourie had called CAG idiotic on the issue of disinvestment of Centaur Hotel," Meena told reporters here.
"BJP leader Arun Jaitley had said that the"CAG has acted on hearsay and not on facts with reference to the coffin scam. Today when we question the CAG?s calculations, they are criticising us. This is nothing but political expediency," he said.
Instead of demanding the Prime Minister?s resignation, the top BJP leadership should resign for "misleading parliament, media and the country as a whole," Meena said.
He asked "Why hasn’t the CAG audited the period before 2004 when the BJP-led NDA was at the helm of affairs? It was a well known fact that the UPA government has followed the old coal block allocations policy with improvements like the setting up of a screening committee."
"It is the UPA which brought changes in the system of allocations, not the NDA. It was the UPA which opted for competitive bidding, not the NDA. It was the UPA which amended the MMDR Act bringing all states on board and not the NDA", he said.
Meena alleged that BJP stalled parliament as it is aware that the government is in possession of letters written to it by the Chief Ministers of BJP and non-Congress ruled states opposing bidding of the coal blocks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?