Meet and solve Cauvery dispute: SC to Jaya, Shettar
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday asked Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to meet and find an amicable solution to the Cauvery river water dispute.
The apex court bench of Justice D.K. Jain and Justice Madan B. Lokur said both the chief ministers should give top priority to the interests of farmers while finding an amicable solution.
The court said: "There would be a problem if either of the two sides blinks, so we want them to meet in a congenial atmosphere."
The court said this in the course of the hearing of Tamil Nadu`s petition seeking direction to Karnataka to release 9,000 cusecs of water every day for 15 days as directed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who presided over the meeting of the Cauvery River Authority Sep 19.
The Cauvery River Authority comprises all the basin states - Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala, besides the union territory of Puducherry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?