Meet to discuss implementation of maternity benefit law
New Delhi: Implementation of law to protect workplace rights of women in the period around child birth and non-inclusion of workers employed in the informal sector are among the issues that will be deliberated on Tuesday.
The meeting has been convened by the Women and Child Development Ministry to review the operationalisation of Maternity Benefit Act, 1961 in all states and Union Minister Krishna Tirath will address the gathering.
Sisram Ola, Minister of Labour and Employment will raise the issue of maternity protection which is an essential pre-requisite for women`s rights and gender equality with regard to their work and profession.
The right to maternity protection is enshrined in the Constitution, along with international instruments such as the International Human Rights Instruments and the International Labour Conventions.
The Maternity Benefit Act regulates the employment of women in certain establishments for certain period before and after child-birth and to provide for maternity benefit and certain their benefits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?