`Mega Indian cities can learn lessons from Big Apple`
Washington: Highly impressed by the steps taken by New York Police Department (NYPD) to secure the Big Apple from any major terrorist attack, Union Home Minister, P Chidambaram, Friday said that mega Indian cities like Mumbai and New Delhi could implement some of their practices.
Chidambaram, who was given an extensive briefing by the New York Police Commissioner, Raymond Kelly, on the day of his arrival in the US, said he was "impressed" by the steps being taken by NYPD to secure a mega city like that of New York.
"Some of those practices can be applied in India`s mega cities like Delhi, Mumbai etc," Chidambaram said in response to a question at a press briefing with the Indian media in
"NYPD was in my list (of meetings) because I was keen to know how it was securing a mega city. There is a new book called "Securing the City" and that describes what
Commissioner Kelly has done in NYPD. I was very keen to see how NYPD worked," Chidambaram said.
In the aftermath of the Mumbai terrorist attack, NYPD has taken several measures to secure the city from 26-11-type attack. It not only sent a team to Mumbai soon after the
terrorist attacks, but has also conducted several mock drills to prevent any major casualties if such an attack ever occurs in the city.
"We established the nation`s first municipal counter terrorism bureau, and we restructured our Intelligence Division. We recruited the best that the federal government
had to offer to head those two operations. We created a new civilian intelligence program to support our field commanders with timely information and analysis," Kelly told a Congressional committee early this year, which held a hearing on Mumbai terrorist attack.
"We also conducted two exercises, one a tactical drill for Emergency Service Unit officers, the other a tabletop exercise for commanders. Both scenarios mirrored the attacks in Mumbai," he said.
"Based on our analysis of what took place in Mumbai, we`ve been training additional officers in the use of heavy weapons and close quarters battle tactics. In the event of a
sustained attack, such as we saw in India, these officers will be able to support and relieve the more than 400 members of our Emergency Service Unit who already have these skills," Kelly said.
NYPD has also provided basic heavy weapons instruction for our most recent class of over 1,000 police recruits, as in Mumbai, the local police were simply outgunned by the
terrorists. "We don’t want that to happen in New York," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray