Meghalaya govt to compensate coal miners killed
Shillong: The Meghalaya government on Tuesday announced compensation of Rs.3 lakh each for the next of kin of eight migrant coal miners killed by unidentified assailants.
"An ex-gratia payment of Rs.3 lakh each has already been handed over to the authorities in Assam, and the same will be given to the next of kin of the eight coal labourers killed," Chinmay P. Gotmare, district magistrate of South Garo Hills said.
He said coal mine owners had also given Rs.1 lakh each to the next of kin of the victims.
On Sunday night, eight migrant coal miners were killed and three wounded at Garegittim and Nongalbibra areas in South Garo Hills district when a group of unidentified assailants went on the rampage.
Those killed were identified as Babu Ali, Jirhul Islam, Harjit Ali, Fazir Ali, Modon Ali, Moinal Haque, Ismail Ali and Shah Jahan Ali. All of them were from Assam.
Those wounded are Zakir Ali, Mojial Ali and Ahidur Ali.
Meghalaya Home Minister Roshan Warjri said the situation in the insurgency-ravaged districts of Garo Hills was under control.
"Additional security forces have been deployed to maintain law and order in the district," Warjri said
Chief Secretary W.M.S. Pariat said the security situation in some parts of the Garo Hills region was a matter of concern.
"We are keeping a close watch on the situation in Garo Hills and adequate security forces have been put in place," Pariat said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation