Mehbooba says no to PM on Kashmir meeting
Srinagar: Opposition PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti on Sunday stuck to her decision to stay away from an all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to discuss the situation in Kashmir despite an appeal by the Prime Minister to reconsider her stand.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who had spoken to Mehbooba yesterday, was understood to have impressed upon her the need for the government and the Opposition to be on the same side to tackle the current situation in violence-hit Kashmir, while requesting her to attend the all-party meet tomorrow.
Addressing a press conference here, Mehbooba said that while she had great regards for the Prime Minister, she could not attend the meeting as the state government was trying to hide its "failures".
She said that her party wanted to be "excused" from the meeting.
"I hear him (Omar) giving me an ultimatum to attend the meeting.... If I attend I become the solution, (but) if I don`t I become a part of the problem," she said. She appealed to the Prime Minister to "intervene" so that the people take his "initiative" seriously.
"The Chief Minister is on damage control, but not bothered about situation on the ground," Mehbooba claimed. The PDP leader also requested the Prime Minister to lift "curbs" on the media so that they can carry out their duties.
Mehbooba said that the Prime Minister should take the initiative to end the "crackdown" in civilian areas.
She also thanked Home Minister P Chidambaram, who she said, had also called her up yesterday.
According to PDP sources, the Chief Minister also wrote to Mehbooba that he was pained to hear about the decision of her party and and asked her to reconsider her decision. Omar had also spoken to Mehbooba on telephone.
Omar said the meeting had been convened for a comprehensive analysis of the situation and to jointly lay a road map for a better tomorrow for the people.
The invitation has been extended to all 12 recognised political parties and groups for the meeting. These were National Conference, Congress, PDP, BJP, Panthers Party, CPI-M, CPI, Peoples Democratic Forum, Democratic Party (Nationalist), Bahujan Samaj Party, Rashtriya Janata Dal and Nationalist Congress Party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know