Mehbooba says no to PM on Kashmir meeting
Srinagar: Opposition PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti on Sunday stuck to her decision to stay away from an all-party meeting convened by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to discuss the situation in Kashmir despite an appeal by the Prime Minister to reconsider her stand.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who had spoken to Mehbooba yesterday, was understood to have impressed upon her the need for the government and the Opposition to be on the same side to tackle the current situation in violence-hit Kashmir, while requesting her to attend the all-party meet tomorrow.
Addressing a press conference here, Mehbooba said that while she had great regards for the Prime Minister, she could not attend the meeting as the state government was trying to hide its "failures".
She said that her party wanted to be "excused" from the meeting.
"I hear him (Omar) giving me an ultimatum to attend the meeting.... If I attend I become the solution, (but) if I don`t I become a part of the problem," she said. She appealed to the Prime Minister to "intervene" so that the people take his "initiative" seriously.
"The Chief Minister is on damage control, but not bothered about situation on the ground," Mehbooba claimed. The PDP leader also requested the Prime Minister to lift "curbs" on the media so that they can carry out their duties.
Mehbooba said that the Prime Minister should take the initiative to end the "crackdown" in civilian areas.
She also thanked Home Minister P Chidambaram, who she said, had also called her up yesterday.
According to PDP sources, the Chief Minister also wrote to Mehbooba that he was pained to hear about the decision of her party and and asked her to reconsider her decision. Omar had also spoken to Mehbooba on telephone.
Omar said the meeting had been convened for a comprehensive analysis of the situation and to jointly lay a road map for a better tomorrow for the people.
The invitation has been extended to all 12 recognised political parties and groups for the meeting. These were National Conference, Congress, PDP, BJP, Panthers Party, CPI-M, CPI, Peoples Democratic Forum, Democratic Party (Nationalist), Bahujan Samaj Party, Rashtriya Janata Dal and Nationalist Congress Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'