Meira Kumar meets Lankan President
Colombo: Developmental works being undertaken by India in war-torn northern Sri Lanka and the current political situation came up for discussion when Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar met President Mahinda Rajapaksa here on Friday.
Kumar, here to attend the 58th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference, met Rajapaksa at his official residence and discussed a host of issue that concern the relationship between the two countries.
During the meeting, Rajapaksa told Kumar that over 3.5 million Sri Lankans have paid their respects to `Kapilavastu` relics which is currently on a tour to this country.
"The two leaders also discussed the political situation in Sri Lanka, the developmental activities being undertaken by Government and enhancing bilateral cooperation in the areas of trade, education and tourism, including establishing greater connectivity with various states of India," a release by Lok Sabha Secretariat said.
India is involved in a host of developmental works in the northern province of Sri Lanka, the worst-hit by the bloodshed unleashed by LTTE for three decades.
India is building houses for displaced Tamils, repairing schools and buildings and involved in other activities as well.
Kumar also met External Affairs Minister G L Peiris who welcomd India`s "extensive engagement" with Sri Lanka and referred to the upcoming visit of Rajapaksa to India as a continuation of this process.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan