Meira Kumar meets Lankan President
Colombo: Developmental works being undertaken by India in war-torn northern Sri Lanka and the current political situation came up for discussion when Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar met President Mahinda Rajapaksa here on Friday.
Kumar, here to attend the 58th Commonwealth Parliamentary Conference, met Rajapaksa at his official residence and discussed a host of issue that concern the relationship between the two countries.
During the meeting, Rajapaksa told Kumar that over 3.5 million Sri Lankans have paid their respects to `Kapilavastu` relics which is currently on a tour to this country.
"The two leaders also discussed the political situation in Sri Lanka, the developmental activities being undertaken by Government and enhancing bilateral cooperation in the areas of trade, education and tourism, including establishing greater connectivity with various states of India," a release by Lok Sabha Secretariat said.
India is involved in a host of developmental works in the northern province of Sri Lanka, the worst-hit by the bloodshed unleashed by LTTE for three decades.
India is building houses for displaced Tamils, repairing schools and buildings and involved in other activities as well.
Kumar also met External Affairs Minister G L Peiris who welcomd India`s "extensive engagement" with Sri Lanka and referred to the upcoming visit of Rajapaksa to India as a continuation of this process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics