Meira Kumar not for punitive action
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Thursday said though ample powers were vested in her, she does not believe in "punitive action" to run the house.
Speaking to students from the Maharani Gayatri Devi School of Jaipur who met her in Parliament, Meira Kumar said debates and discussions were necessary for meaningful legislative process.
She said parliamentary democracy had empowered people across the country, irrespective of the innumerable challenges encountered during the last six decades.
"While democracy has failed in several countries, India`s deep-rooted democratic ethos and traditions allow us to vote, contest elections and to be represented effectively in the parliamentary process," an official statement quoted the speaker as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report