Meira Kumar not for punitive action
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Thursday said though ample powers were vested in her, she does not believe in "punitive action" to run the house.
Speaking to students from the Maharani Gayatri Devi School of Jaipur who met her in Parliament, Meira Kumar said debates and discussions were necessary for meaningful legislative process.
She said parliamentary democracy had empowered people across the country, irrespective of the innumerable challenges encountered during the last six decades.
"While democracy has failed in several countries, India`s deep-rooted democratic ethos and traditions allow us to vote, contest elections and to be represented effectively in the parliamentary process," an official statement quoted the speaker as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das