Meira Kumar not for punitive action
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Thursday said though ample powers were vested in her, she does not believe in "punitive action" to run the house.
Speaking to students from the Maharani Gayatri Devi School of Jaipur who met her in Parliament, Meira Kumar said debates and discussions were necessary for meaningful legislative process.
She said parliamentary democracy had empowered people across the country, irrespective of the innumerable challenges encountered during the last six decades.
"While democracy has failed in several countries, India`s deep-rooted democratic ethos and traditions allow us to vote, contest elections and to be represented effectively in the parliamentary process," an official statement quoted the speaker as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?