Meira Kumar to represent India at CSPOC
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar will
represent India at the 21st Conference of Speakers and
Presiding Officers of the Commonwealth (CSPOC) to be held in
Port of Spain from January 7 to 12.
At the biennial conference being hosted by Parliament
of Trinidad and Tobago, the Speaker will make a presentation
on the "role of parliamentary diplomacy in the era of
globalisation", a Lok Sabha Secretariat release said on Thursday.
She will also participate in a workshop there on the
topic, "Emerging New Challenges for Speakers: Multi-party
Chambers and Minority and Coalition Governments", it said.
Further, she will attend the final plenary of the
conference based on the theme "Reconnecting Parliament with
the Public: The Role of Speakers and Presiding Officers".
Before the opening ceremony, the Lok Sabha Speaker will
attend the meeting of the Standing Committee of the CSPOC, of
which she is the an ex-officio member "in her capacity as the
immediate past host and as a Regional Representative from the
India Region", the release said.
Kumar will be accompanied by Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman
K Rahman Khan, Lok Sabha Secretary General T K Viswanathan and
Dr V K Agnihotri, Secretary General of Rajya Sabha.
The CSPOC, which was established in 1969, brings together
the Speakers and Presiding Officers of Parliaments of the
Commonwealth countries. India had hosted the 20th conference
in New Delhi in January, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security