Meira Kumar to represent India at CSPOC
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar will
represent India at the 21st Conference of Speakers and
Presiding Officers of the Commonwealth (CSPOC) to be held in
Port of Spain from January 7 to 12.
At the biennial conference being hosted by Parliament
of Trinidad and Tobago, the Speaker will make a presentation
on the "role of parliamentary diplomacy in the era of
globalisation", a Lok Sabha Secretariat release said on Thursday.
She will also participate in a workshop there on the
topic, "Emerging New Challenges for Speakers: Multi-party
Chambers and Minority and Coalition Governments", it said.
Further, she will attend the final plenary of the
conference based on the theme "Reconnecting Parliament with
the Public: The Role of Speakers and Presiding Officers".
Before the opening ceremony, the Lok Sabha Speaker will
attend the meeting of the Standing Committee of the CSPOC, of
which she is the an ex-officio member "in her capacity as the
immediate past host and as a Regional Representative from the
India Region", the release said.
Kumar will be accompanied by Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman
K Rahman Khan, Lok Sabha Secretary General T K Viswanathan and
Dr V K Agnihotri, Secretary General of Rajya Sabha.
The CSPOC, which was established in 1969, brings together
the Speakers and Presiding Officers of Parliaments of the
Commonwealth countries. India had hosted the 20th conference
in New Delhi in January, 2010.
- US panel wants Pak on list for religious freedom violations
- Two more days to put out forest fire in Uttarakhand, says Prakash Javadekar
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016 to be declared today on May 3 at 12 noon
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12 on May ) Result 2016 to be declared today 3 at 12 noon
- VVIP chopper cam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi reaches CBI office for questioning