Meira Kumar to represent India at CSPOC
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar will
represent India at the 21st Conference of Speakers and
Presiding Officers of the Commonwealth (CSPOC) to be held in
Port of Spain from January 7 to 12.
At the biennial conference being hosted by Parliament
of Trinidad and Tobago, the Speaker will make a presentation
on the "role of parliamentary diplomacy in the era of
globalisation", a Lok Sabha Secretariat release said on Thursday.
She will also participate in a workshop there on the
topic, "Emerging New Challenges for Speakers: Multi-party
Chambers and Minority and Coalition Governments", it said.
Further, she will attend the final plenary of the
conference based on the theme "Reconnecting Parliament with
the Public: The Role of Speakers and Presiding Officers".
Before the opening ceremony, the Lok Sabha Speaker will
attend the meeting of the Standing Committee of the CSPOC, of
which she is the an ex-officio member "in her capacity as the
immediate past host and as a Regional Representative from the
India Region", the release said.
Kumar will be accompanied by Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman
K Rahman Khan, Lok Sabha Secretary General T K Viswanathan and
Dr V K Agnihotri, Secretary General of Rajya Sabha.
The CSPOC, which was established in 1969, brings together
the Speakers and Presiding Officers of Parliaments of the
Commonwealth countries. India had hosted the 20th conference
in New Delhi in January, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video