Member of first Lok Sabha Reshamlal Jangade passes away
Raipur: Veteran politician and a member of the country`s first Lok Sabha from undivided Madhya Pradesh, Reshamlal Jangade died on Monday at a private hospital here following prolonged illness.
He was 90.
"Jangade, who was admitted to Ramkrishna Care Hospital after he suffered from breathing problems and illness last week, passed away in the wee hours today," a government release said.
Born on February 15, 1925 in a dalit Satnami family in village Parsadeh of Bilaigarh Tehsil under the then Raipur district, Jangade got elected to the first Lok Sabha in 1952 from Bilaspur on a Congress ticket.
Earlier, he had served as a member of the Provisional Parliament between 1950 and 1952.
He was elected to Lok Sabha twice in 1957 and for the third time in 1989.
In his political career spanning more than 50 years, Jangade was also elected as an MLA in undivided Madhya Pradesh and also served as a Deputy Minister and Leader of Opposition there.
Jangade also took part in `Quit India Movement` and was sent to jail too.
Jangade had been felicitated along with three members of first Lok Sabha in the Central Hall of Parliament on May 13, 2012, to mark its 60th anniversary.
Other members were Rishang Keishing, Kandala Subramanyam and Kante Mohan Rao.
Jangade was cremated here with State honours.
Chief Minister Raman Singh has expressed profound grief over Jangade`s demise.
"We have lost a veteran leader forever, who was a great source of inspiration and blessing for entire state, country and society," a government release said quoting the chief minister.
"Jangade`s sad demise is an end to the golden chapter of a public figure with strong principles and moral values. He was a simple person, who dedicated his entire life for betterment of farmers, labourers and the people belonging to the last row of the society," the CM said in the statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!