Members seek resignation of Justice Ganguly as WBHRC Chief
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress members on Tuesday made a strong demand in the Rajya Sabha for resignation of former Supreme Court Judge AK Ganguly, indicted in a sexual harassment case, from the post of West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) Chairman.
"It is not a political issue. The entire country is outraged... This is a serious issue which we have been seeing for the last three weeks," Derek O`Brien (Trinamool) said during Zero Hour.
"Men in position of power misuse their power and do everything to suppress the voice of the victim...This gentleman should resign, arrested or President should sack him," O`Brien said amid shouts of "shame shame".
He noted that a committee of three judges of Supreme Court has already said that it was inappropriate behaviour by the former judge.
The case, O`Brien said, involves people holding high position and Ganguly holds a high position as Chairman of WBNHRC.
"He has brought disgrace and we cannot even call him a Justice...Rules are very clear and he should be removed," he said.
His party colleague, Sukhendu Sekhar Roy said a large number of members across various parties supported the demand to remove the accused Justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader