Members seek resignation of Justice Ganguly as WBHRC Chief
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress members on Tuesday made a strong demand in the Rajya Sabha for resignation of former Supreme Court Judge AK Ganguly, indicted in a sexual harassment case, from the post of West Bengal Human Rights Commission (WBHRC) Chairman.
"It is not a political issue. The entire country is outraged... This is a serious issue which we have been seeing for the last three weeks," Derek O`Brien (Trinamool) said during Zero Hour.
"Men in position of power misuse their power and do everything to suppress the voice of the victim...This gentleman should resign, arrested or President should sack him," O`Brien said amid shouts of "shame shame".
He noted that a committee of three judges of Supreme Court has already said that it was inappropriate behaviour by the former judge.
The case, O`Brien said, involves people holding high position and Ganguly holds a high position as Chairman of WBNHRC.
"He has brought disgrace and we cannot even call him a Justice...Rules are very clear and he should be removed," he said.
His party colleague, Sukhendu Sekhar Roy said a large number of members across various parties supported the demand to remove the accused Justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Facebook hires top ex-Google executive for internet projects
- Want a better life? Practice these 5 habits – Watch video
- Toyota launches new engine facility in Bengaluru
- Rio-bound boxer Manoj Kumar reaches out to PM Narendra Modi – Here's why
- Subramanian Swamy denies targeting Arun Jaitley, says he looks very smart in a coat